I’ve switched from my old (and janky) Jekyll + Polymer setup to Hugo, a similar static content management system written in Go. I’ve needed to do this for a very long time but I procrastinated due to a lack of interest, time, and energy. In this post I’ll go over why I’ve switched, including an overview of how I was previously generating my website with Jekyll.
The old: Jekyll + Polymer
I used Jekyll for a very long time. Over the years I went through a few different template designs, even creating several of my own that I never ultimately published. I was always trying to find a balance between client-side functionality and compatibility. I wanted a “modern” website with contemporary creature comforts (like a responsive, mobile-friendly frontend) that would also work with basic web browsers.
As it turned out, Polymer didn’t age well. And the build tooling required to build my Polymer template didn’t age well either. Add to that the complexity of said build tooling and its inability to fully optimize the final product and you get a mildly frustrated developer looking for alternatives.
The new: Hugo
Switching to Hugo has given me the opportunity I needed to simplify my website. It’s now back to being a single command away from being built. It’s also much faster to build than with the previous Jekyll and Polymer setup. The theme I’m using is Mainroad with some light modifications.